Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Embracing the Power of Perseverance

Embracing the Power of Perseverance
Guest Blog Post By: Shauntel Bennett
During my high school years, I vividly remember having so many dreams and aspirations of going to college, traveling abroad, and being an actress. In my mind, it was important for me to be successful and I was determined to fight tooth and nail until I reached my destined outcome. Upon graduation, I took my first step towards attaining my dreams by enrolling in a local junior college as a musical theatre major. My first year was exciting! I was being introduced to so many gifted people, understanding the foundational layout of the drama world, embracing the theory aspects behind music…you know, learning the ropes! I was on my way it seemed. Then, in my second year, I was formally introduced to ‘The Lounge’, where students would gather between classes and, on occasion, during class. I became acquainted with a lot of bad practices and people, which became a huge struggle for me and eventually led to my losing focus of the initial pursuit and my musical scholarship.
Over the next few years, I fought an inward battle as my life seemingly spiraled out of control and became consumed with making and frivolously spending money, hanging out in clubs and bars, meanwhile, failing daily in the school of life. After about five years had passed, I found myself sitting at work one day with the question, “what happened to your fight, your will to persevere?” frequently resurfacing in my mind.
As I reflect, I am reminded of Jacob. After being left alone in Mahanaim, awaiting the time that he would meet with his brother Esau, Jacob had an encounter with God (or one of His angels J). Here’s the story:
And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of day. And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob’s thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him. And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me. And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said Jacob. And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there. And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel:  for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved. (Genesis 32:24-30)
Jacob literally fought until the Lord blessed him. He didn’t give up. He pressed until God granted his request. We should adopt this same type of diligence in our daily lives. Whatever it is that God has gifted us with or whatever assignment He has given us to complete, we should stay the course, no matter the obstacles or criticism that may come our way.
We have been given the power, dominion, and authority that we need to embrace. As we journey through this life, let us remember the following scripture:
Ask and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.(Matthew 7:7)
Having obtained my degree, actively experiencing the stage life, and embarking upon opportunities to travel, I can confirm that God is the true and everlasting source of our hope.
Be encouraged to PERSEVERE!
Shauntel Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment